Saturday, October 17, 2015

Chill, It's a God Thing

I am a person with big vision a strong sense of purpose and almost boundless energy. In my mind The Meekonomics Project is a part of a multi-national ministry teaching people the core principles of Godly living, debt elimination, wealth building and legacy planning. It’s not just about money either, it goes way beyond that and is about how we live as disciples and ambassadors of Christ.
vision
That’s a big vision! And I strongly believe it to be God breathed and Holy Spirit directed. But being a man of vision sometimes causes me to run ahead of God and when things don’t go as planned I get depressed.

It was in one of those recent bouts of depression that I happened to read Ephesians 4.
As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. [Ephesians 4:1]
acorn
Right from the opening verse Paul had my attention. I realize that Paul was literally in prison when he wrote these words but sometimes I feel trapped and imprisoned by my calling. I don’t know how to do anything else.   I’m a spiritual entrepreneur.   God blessed me with a mind to see mighty oak trees in acorns. Once seen I can no more look away from the vision than a child who learns to run can stop and crawl; I become, in a way a prisoner of the vision.

Living a life worthy of the calling is in many ways learning to live in submission to it. The vision is bigger than me, bigger than anything I can hope to accomplish on my own, God’s going to have to do it. He gave the acorn to me to plant and water but beyond that what can I do? It takes over a hundred years to grow an oak tree to maturity, how long will my vision take?

In Matthew 13 Jesus gives three examples of planting that require a time of waiting before the final vision is realized. The farmer plants the seed and goes to sleep, and both the mustard seed and the yeast do their work and grow into their final form without any help from anyone, God does it all.

I’ve been listening to the podcast from Willowcreek Community Church in Chicago for the past few weeks. Pastor Bill Hybels has been taking a decade by decade historical look at the growth of their ministry leading up to the 40ths anniversary this weekend. Through all the twists and turns, new challenges and new opportunities one thing has been perfectly clear in Hybel’s teaching over that last few weeks: when God sets out to do something, it’s going to happen.

So even in my depression and frustration I can rejoice and relax. He’s got this.
There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. [Ephesians 4:4-6] emphasis mine
Visit the full Meekonomics Project Website at www.themeekonomicsproject.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment