Friday, August 7, 2009

Introduction - Down the Rabbit Hole!

Welcome to my Blog!

About 8 months ago my wife gave me a book that has forever changed my life.

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein, chronicles the rise of Capitalism and Corporate influence throughout the world since the 1970s. Largely based on the theories of Milton Freidman and the Chicago School of Economics, Klien argues that economic expansion in developing countries has served multi-national corporations at the expense of human rights and built the entire economic structure of the 21st century on a very shaky foundation. The current world-wide economic structures have given rise to terrorism, spread diseases like AIDS and concentrated power not in the world's capitals but in the world's capitol.

Reading this book shook something in the very core of my being. At first I couldn't begin to describe it; was it anger, sadness, frustration, confusion, or all of the above?

What I did know was that I had to learn more and the more I researched and studied the more I learned how much I didn't know.

Studying how the world really works, from the point of view of economics, politics, business, technology, development, aid and eduction is like falling into a Rabbit Hole. It's full of twists, turns and side tracks.

I have no idea how deep the Rabbit Hole is nor do I have any idea where it's taking me. I might get lost in here for a very long time. So the purpose of this blog is to journal my thoughts, get feed back from anyone who is listening and find my way out again.

What I find on the other side will likely be a whole new way of looking at the world.

Join me - It'll be fun!

1 comment:

  1. It is a worthy journey, I have taken many side roads, discovered tons of dead ends and uncovered a plethora of potholes while having trodden it's rusty and golden paths. The views are spectacular from hills of understanding and the treacherous climbs make their beauty worth earning.
    Oh the vastness experienced on Mt Epiphany is enough to free your mind, and fly upon the winds for what seems an eternity.
    Yes, the rabbit hole goes deep, and the road seems like forever, just keep your feet on the ground and remember to keep one foot in front of the other.

    ReplyDelete